I feel so incompetent. The only bad thing about using my parents computer during the holidays is I can’t find any of my sources. The website is on the tip of my tongue but I just can’t find it. It’s such an easy question to answer but I want a source to confirm it!! Argh!
If anyone could help me it would be much appreciated (and I would be grateful for any links).
Ok big question: Do panniers/pocket hoops go over the stays or do the stays go over the panniers/pocket hoops?
For my next theme I have received a request for underwear. When answering please keep in mind the Victorian era spans 64 years (officially 1837-1901) so please specify a date! I’ll cover the top three choices over the next few days.
My question is now which period do you want to see?
Edit: I’m going to let this run up to 100 notes then close the poll and announce the winners!
Finish the embroidery for the hanging pocket. I have one more flower to slip stitch the outline and I need to go back in and finish shading the leaves and vines. Sew the pieces together and finish it. Sadly I can’t finish the pocket until I get some white bias binding for the edges.
Attach pocket hoops to waistband and finish AND NOW I HAVE 70” HIPS!!!!!!!! HUZZAH! HUZZAH!
*Make bias binding and finish the hem on the Regency gown
*Finish stupid stay binding, attach Stay straps
*Figure out where my grommets are going and poke them in. I bet I’m going to end up covering the silly things because they looked good last time I did that. WOE IS TO ME.
*Put stays on over chemise. Trim neckline way down and hem.
*Figure out layout for the Robe a la Francaise. I’m having some major issues with that. Once I work out how I need to cut it I can get started on that.
Since I’ve been home my parents have started to enforce a no-sewing-machines-after-10:30 policy. I was bored so I drafted the pocket hoop pattern. Which was fun and all until about 15 minutes later when I was bored again.
I randomly decided to embroider a pair of hanging pockets. (Why you ask? Because I’m bloody bored and I have a messed up sleeping pattern.) Drafted that pattern out, marked up my fabric (I’m copying the floral pattern from my robe a la francaise fabric), loaded up the handy dandy lap frame and got down to business.
I decided to use a very tiny satin stitch for the vines and a closely worked fishbone stitch for the leaves because I like the plaited effect that is achieved in the centre. I think I’ll end up using silk shading on the flowers but I’ll be using stranded cotton thread because I roll like that.
I made hanging pockets during the first pocket hoop assignment for university. Later my lecturers congratulated me on being the only historically accurate person in my class. In true 21st century fashion I pointed out that I had actually made them because I needed a place to put my iphone and camera when I was out in the costume. On hindsight I should have just agreed with them.
This pocket above is an example from c.1740-1760 via CW. I love the shape and embroidery!
(Sorry for the rambling post. Tumblr is kind of where I store my pre-project thinking.)
One chemise later *sighs* I ended up having to go buy a different type of fabric. But it’s finished! I’ll put pictures of my new mannequin Georgie* up tomorrow.
I want to wake up and get the stays drafted and I’m planning on having the channels done and fully boned by Tuesday evening.
The panier will take me maybe a few hours so those should be done on Wednesday or if I need a break Thursday.
Then I’m moving on to the Robe a la Francaise.
*As in Georgiana Cavendish my latest obsession.
Yes I am one of those weird people who name their mannequins.
When I get back to London and back to University (TUESDAY eeekkk!!) this is what my next assignment is! We were given the choice to either make an Elizabethan farthingale or pocket hoops. Since we made 18th century stays last term I decided to make the hoops! Wish me luck!
The Met. Ca. late 18th century